Air Plants for the casual gardener without a garden | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General
AVRamani
AVRamani Nov 15

There may be many Verdurians without garden space, yet wanting to have a communion with Nature. Fortunately, there is an option for such people. There are a group of air plants called Tillandsia, which can be used to create exquisite displays. One can give full reign to one's creative ideas and make stunning indoor displays not only of the plants themselves but also include various artwork of one's choice.

The great thing about Tillandsia is that these can stand benign neglect. They are very adaptable. All one needs is a well lighted window space.

Before any one asks: " What about you? Do you have an indoor garden with air plants?", I must confess that I do not. The reason is that I have a large regular garden with some demanding plants that take up my time. I am going to essay into air plants immediately.

I shall put up developments as they happen.

There are many suppliers that sell online these plants.

Those interested can look at some of the sites here:

Tillandsia

Some general info on air plants can be seen here:

Low Maintenance Air Plants for Indoors

Share:
shobham
shobham Nov 17
Wonderful knowledge. I did not know about this. 

Thanks for sharing. 

burao
burao Nov 17
Upon reading more on Air Plants discussed by Ramani ji I have learnt they have many bebefits:-

Besides providing a pleasant garden atmosphere, they reduce dust and increase humidity levels in the room there by enable to fight cold ailments quicker, that remove airborne contaminents that cause headache and allergies and they reduce carbon dioxide levels by photosynthesis while adding oxygen. Depending on the variety they may change colours from green to hues of red, purple, magenta, orange or even yellow which is very beautiful to enjoy.,
Sabarmathy
Sabarmathy Nov 17
Thank you for the information Ramani sir. After going back to India I will try to have one in our house.
hari1941
hari1941 Nov 18
I do not know the name but we have some indoor plants in the house that do not even need watering. All that is needed is little sunshine. Since hopes here are centrally air conditioned, may be that takes care of.them. My SIL has the hobby and knowledge.
AVRamani
AVRamani Nov 18
Why don’t you put up a photo of the plant, Hari?
hari1941
hari1941 Nov 19

Quote from AVRamani Why don’t you put up a photo of the plant, Hari?
Here are some of them .
AVRamani
AVRamani Nov 19
Nice displays. Not all the plants are air plants though. You have shown how these displays can include art pieces.
hari1941
hari1941 Nov 20

Quote from AVRamani Nice displays. Not all the plants are air plants though. You have shown how these displays can include art pieces.

Thanks. The display credit goes to my daughter and son in law. I do see them watering some of  them once in a while. Could these plants attract tiny flying insects in a close house? I see lot of them moving around. Black very very tiny.
AVRamani
AVRamani Nov 20

Quote from hari1941
Quote from AVRamani Nice displays. Not all the plants are air plants though. You have shown how these displays can include art pieces.

Thanks. The display credit goes to my daughter and son in law. I do see them watering some of  them once in a while. Could these plants attract tiny flying insects in a close house? I see lot of them moving around. Black very very tiny.

Those must be Fruit flies (drosophila melanogaster). My son works with them at St.Louis to establish their sleep habits. He even does brain surgery on them under a microscope!
VAS
VAS Nov 21
Dear RA,

Very interesting information that there are some Air plants. Can it be tried in human too???!!!..o live without water & only air.

We do have garden but have to pour water regularly.Lost the interest in gardening.

When i was young used to grow vegetables in our home in Chennai as well in Assam.In Assam all veg grow 3 to 4 times bigger than in TN.Land/soil in Assam/Gwahati is very fertile.