SUBMISSION OF A DINING TABLE | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Poetry & Prose
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 30

SUBMISSION OF A LONELY DINING TABLE

Your Honor, in the name of God I swear, I will speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

1.     My name is Dining Table . I do not know who, when and why I was named as such. May be because all members of the family were expected to be eating together when dinner was served at appointed time, on my flat top made of marble or sun mica. I am inclusive of one table with usually four legs and a set of chairs ranging from four to 12 or more. I would not go into my parentage but usually I am made of wood.

2.     World over there are different traditions of serving food. In India and in this household, where I belong to, it is said that in olden days food was normally served and taken in the kitchen. The guests/family members would sit on the ground in padmasan position, a small stool was placed in front of them and food was served in a thali with saucers or on a banana leaf spread. With the advent of the British, the educated class brought a dinning set and usually placed it in the drawing/living room. The guests/family members sit on the chairs placed around the table and food is served as usual in thalies or banana leaves. In some households as in this household, thalies and banana leaves have been replaced by china or stainless steel plates and saucers.

3.     The basic idea was to have food together to follow the old adage ‘those who eat together stay together.’ I remember Dadaji (Grand father-God save his soul) Dadiji (Grand mother) Bade Bhayya (elder brother), Manjhale Bhayya (middle brother) Chhote Bhayya (Youngest brother) Chintu (elder brother’s son), Reena (elder brother’s daughter), Monu (Middle brother’s son) and Manav (youngest brother’s son) all sat on the 12 seater dinning chairs and would be served by the female members who usually cooked the food also. Dinner was a leisurely affair while, breakfast and lunch was rather quick. Female members took their meals after the male members.

4.     It was around the dinner time that family issues were discussed, solutions found to controversial issues. Kids were encouraged, appreciated and at times mildly rebuked or lovingly poked. Decency and decorum was maintained but that did not debar members pulling each others’ legs. The atmosphere was jovial, serious or just right depending on the mood of the elders. Post dinner, there would be some more discussions before retiring to the bed.  This helped in knowing whatever is happening to each member of the family and take suitable action where ever required. Thus the family meeting would end with a promising note looking for a better tomorrow.

5.     After Dadaji’s demise, the eldest brother took charge of the overall charge of the business and his younger brothers supported him in production and marketing. Family business was flourishing as all the three brothers worked hard, talked to each other, consulted each other and in all cases rested the final decision with the eldest brother.

6.     It all started with when Chintu wanted to go abroad to pursue higher studies. He was advised to have formal education in the country only and fall in the footsteps of his elders and look after the family business. He however persisted with his desire and finally the family agreed to send him to UK for higher studies. Younger brothers did not like it.

7.     Reena was a bright girl and she too wanted to pursue higher studies but the family decided to get her married once she reached the marriageable age. Her parents did not like it but agreed to the wishes of Dadiji who was of the opinion that a girl’s place is in the family and they should be married off in time. I am witness to her cries and anger.

8.     The elder one looked after overall management, finance and production and the middle one the purchases and sourcing and the youngest after sales and marketing. Competition was raising its head and profits were falling down.

9.     The blame game started. Marketing blamed the production for higher costs and production blamed the purchase and sourcing for the higher costs of inputs. Purchase blamed the production for higher wages and production costs and marketing for not working hard enough to get good deals and higher marketing costs.

10.  The dinning time was now a war of wits among brothers. Dadiji did not understand the business anyway but was heartbroken to see her sons shouting at each other. She too said good bye to all in her sleep.

11.  There was no dinning time now. Everyone started calling food in his room and respective wives helped in furthering this divide.  I was a moot spectator and mostly remained unused for days. Once in a while someone would sit on one of the lonely chairs, have a cup of coffee or some breakfast and that was all.

12.  The process of separation was rather fast. The factory and the parental house were sold and the proceeds divided among the three brothers equally. Each one bought flats in the suburbs and started living separately. They started their small businesses.

13.  No one agreed to take me along as I was too big and of no use to small families. Besides they wanted to buy new dinning sets. They given me to a scrap dealer where I sit in a corner gathering dust waiting for a savior.

14.  My Lord! Is it my fault that I am no more the pride of a well knit family? Is it fair that in my old age I should meet this fate? Have I not served them well when I was young and useful? At least they could have given me a decent cremation.

15.  Finally My Lord I request you to find me a family who has time to eat together and stay together. With this hope I have come to Your Lordship. Please help me or arrange for my cremation.

Yours Obediently,

Dining  Table .

Share:
Babu
Babu Oct 30
Every  object loses its value zt a given point of time.
shobham
shobham Oct 30
My dear Dining table

Yours is a sad story. but right now court is busy with cases where parents are rendered homeless by kids and are looking to get their own homes back. You at least have a place to stay. 
So your case will come up for hearing anytime in next 300 years. Thank your parents ( Wood) that you will still be around unlike humankind. 

VASS
VASS Oct 30
My dear Cowboy,

As usual i enjoyed your wonderful mind blowing write up on dining table.

This post brings our childhood memories of how we all in family sit on floors,enjoyed food with more than 5 to 10 brothers & sisters in most of the families without dining table.

For Indian food & climate dining table not required.Even now in villages & poor families in India no dining table.

Present day girls are studying more than boys as well demand & command in all issues including selection of life partner.

Brother & sister bonding is always great but not so with brothers after marriage.

Now a days girls agree for marriage only if boy & boy's parents agree to live independently.

Also kids & young couple prefer to take food in sofa & chair by watching TV or cell phone. 

hari1941
hari1941 Oct 31

Quote from Babu Every  object loses its value zt a given point of time.

Yes. But when family loses its tradition, it pinches.
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 31

Quote from shobham My dear Dining table

Yours is a sad story. but right now court is busy with cases where parents are rendered homeless by kids and are looking to get their own homes back. You at least have a place to stay. 
So your case will come up for hearing anytime in next 300 years. Thank your parents ( Wood) that you will still be around unlike humankind. 

My Lord,

There are so many PILs you are listening out of turn. I know you have some axe to grind or some favors to return but please please please hear my case. Not only the people who ate on my chest, even the chairs surrounding me have deserted me. I am not asking heaven, just quick favor of going to dust.