ON BEING RICH | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Poetry & Prose
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 7

On Being Rich

Some are born rich; some earn riches and on some richness is thrust upon.

I am in the last category. I was not born rich. I did not earn enough to become rich mainly because I was literally slumbering under the shadow of a banyan tree when I peers were burning their midnight oil and therefore could not go to college, earn a decent degree and therefore earn a decent job and therefore a decent pay.

But still I became rich. You want to know how? Hold your horses.

My uncle was a well connected ward level political functionary.  Considering that I was good for nothing, he managed to get me job of a clerk in the Sales Tax department. I was supposed to keep record of countless files and produce the required file when asked for by the Sales Tax Officer.

I would be called by the STO to bring the required file and the client would follow me and push some currency notes in my hands, with words like  ...'fast please'. It was like thrusting richness on me.

I grew accustomed to such windfall and overtime started liking it. On the way I also learnt that the more the delay in locating the file, the more was the reward. So every day I would somehow manage to look into the list of expected visitors and hide their files in such a way I only could find them. I pretended the labor involved in locating it. It paid.

At the end of the day I was rich by a few hundreds. One day my conscience pricked me and I put half of the days earning in an envelope and passed it on to the STO. He pocketed it coolly. From next day I demanded thrice the usual from clients, passed on one third to STO and my cash balance increased manifold.

I remained a record clerk all my life. I refused promotions. I refused transfers. STOs went and came but I went on forever.

Today I have a hefty bank balance, two cars, three BHK flat. My children are in public school and my wife runs a Kitty Club with fifty members.

The Forum post is edited by hari1941 Oct 8
Share:
Babu
Babu Oct 7
Pl. write in slightly block letters.
rameshsinghal
Corrupt practices are highly paying
muthurajan
muthurajan Oct 7
I wonder - why not legalize corruption? Govt, can get tax perhaps!
Sabarmathy
Sabarmathy Oct 7
Muthurajan, in his drama " Mohamed bin thuglak" Cho says the same for preventing corruption. That was in seventies, I think. It is true for the present also.
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 8

Quote from Babu Pl. write in slightly block letters.

I agree. I am not sure what went wrong. Here it is.

The Forum post is edited by hari1941 Oct 8
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 8

Quote from rameshsinghal Corrupt practices are highly paying

True and that the reason it is difficult to remain free from it.
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 8

Quote from muthurajan I wonder - why not legalize corruption? Govt, can get tax perhaps!

In a way Government did it by introducing Tatkal in Railways tickets and passports bur some how the middlemen are still there. In Singapore it is called speed money and is legally accepted as expense for tax purposes, I was told.
Babu
Babu Oct 8
Thanq Hari.  I do not know what to say about corruption. But it has become a way of life.
VASS
VASS Oct 8
My Dear Cowboy,

We all know who are all taking as well giving/involved in corruption but none of us bothered but talk a lot about corruption/black money.

BJP/Modi assured to brink back black money within 100 Days but still a day dream.

Police caught petty thieves,beat & put behind the bar but majority of police are corrupt,they salute as well guard the corrupt politicians & bureaucrats.

In temple too corrupt people gets priority.They put lot of money/valuables in Hundi & prey for more prosperity,power!!!..

Those who bribe the priest/watchman can by pass the que & special pooja will be performed for them.Honest/Poor people have to wait in long que for hours & will be pulled/pushed while trying to have dharsan of God/Pooja.

Last 30 Yrs we heard of many scandal involving PM/CM'S but they know how to escape from the clutches of law.Because Judiciary too cheated or corrupted.

India can progress/develop & capable of number 1 in the world if we can eliminate or control corruption.

We all must raise our voice against corruption & there must be sever punishment for corrupt people & judgement to be given within 6 months.

muthurajan
muthurajan Oct 8
For complaints on corruption, there must be time schedule which must be religiously adhered to. Any complaints on politicians means they must resign and prove their innocence before returning to the post again. Also, CM post etc. should be selected by purely lottery at random so that none can do horse-trading and other unethical means. 
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 10

Quote from VAST My Dear Cowboy,

We all know who are all taking as well giving/involved in corruption but none of us bothered but talk a lot about corruption/black money.

BJP/Modi assured to brink back black money within 100 Days but still a day dream.

Police caught petty thieves,beat & put behind the bar but majority of police are corrupt,they salute as well guard the corrupt politicians & bureaucrats.

In temple too corrupt people gets priority.They put lot of money/valuables in Hundi & prey for more prosperity,power!!!..

Those who bribe the priest/watchman can by pass the que & special pooja will be performed for them.Honest/Poor people have to wait in long que for hours & will be pulled/pushed while trying to have dharsan of God/Pooja.

Last 30 Yrs we heard of many scandal involving PM/CM'S but they know how to escape from the clutches of law.Because Judiciary too cheated or corrupted.

India can progress/develop & capable of number 1 in the world if we can eliminate or control corruption.

We all must raise our voice against corruption & there must be sever punishment for corrupt people & judgement to be given within 6 months.

VAS,

That is the problem. There is an old saying 'if you cannot change it, adapt to it'. Most do the same. If my file is stuck up with the clerk for long and I know there is no point in fighting, I better pay and get over. I have seen clerks delaying death certificates.

hari1941
hari1941 Oct 10

Quote from muthurajan For complaints on corruption, there must be time schedule which must be religiously adhered to. Any complaints on politicians means they must resign and prove their innocence before returning to the post again. Also, CM post etc. should be selected by purely lottery at random so that none can do horse-trading and other unethical means. 

The problem is who will bell the cat. There are fast courts which are not fast, there are laws that leave ample loopholes for exploitation. I am not much worried about corruption at high levels. I am more concerned about corruption at level of peon and clerks in government offices, police, teachers. Now that their salaries are quite handsome, they should have some mercy on common people. A peon was running a fleet of ten taxis.
shobham
shobham Oct 10
Corruption is an ACCEPTED fact of life. 

Only when it is for our benefit it is ok. 

give you two recent examples

1. Last month our Dignity club had a party in a prominent restaurant. When we went to negotiate we were offered a deal of cash transaction without bill to save on GST and other taxes. Unfortunately for the members I was the treasurer and I refused point blank any hanky panky. though there were dissenting murmurs, nobody came out in the open when I accused them of cheating and corruption.  If I did not hold the purse most people would have gone that way. Almost all did not find anything wrong. 

2, A few years back I met a simple man on a cycle in Kanpur. Everyone was looking pityingly at him running pillar to post to get his pension after 40 years.  Seems he was on a BIG position, but dumb. Did not take any advantage of his position. did not accumulate money. did not promote his children, now he was in dire states.  Honestly honesty does not pay. Definitely after you retire and lose all clout. The one general comment was " saala bada imandar banta tha. Ab pata chala! "