Lessons learnt from Mahabharata | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Poetry & Prose
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 5

Lessons learnt from Mahabharata

Bhismpitamah
I learnt that a vow, however big  it may be cannot be bigger than the  honor of a women

Dhritrastra
Blind is one who cannot differentiate between righteousness and unrighteousness and whose love for his son is bigger than truth.

Gandhari
There is limit to be a virtuous wife.

Vidhur
when adharma rules talks of dharma is vain.

Kunti and Karan
Accept what Destiny has provided for you.

Yudhistir
Dharma is not complete without eradicating its weaknesses.

Duryodhan
Do and finish what you have taken with faith and trust and listen to elders.

Dusshasan
Weakness is the reason for frustration.

Bhism
If your heart is clean, listen to your heart.

Draupadi
Know your rights don't pass it on to others. Only you can bet on yourself, no one has that right.

Arjun
Determination to achieve something should include all not you alone.

Nakul
Righteousness

Sahadev
Contribution however small for protecting dharma is essential

AND FINALLY KRISHNA

Krishna
It is difficult to live on Bhoolok and so whenever you will remember me I will come and that is my punishment.

Share:
Babu
Babu Oct 5
Not all are correct. Duryodhan ; Not at all listening to elders. He was very adamant and ruthless.
VASS
VASS Oct 5
My dear Cowboy,

I am not well versed like you in Mahabharath or Ramayan.

Can you enlighten me who enjoyed life more number of years who suffered more number of years.

Even now people like Dhuriyothan or Rawan enjoy life more than people like Pandava or Raman.

hari1941
hari1941 Oct 6

Quote from Babu Not all are correct. Duryodhan ; Not at all listening to elders. He was very adamant and ruthless.

That's why. He learnt the lesson hard way. 
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 6

Quote from VAST My dear Cowboy,

I am not well versed like you in Mahabharath or Ramayan.

Can you enlighten me who enjoyed life more number of years who suffered more number of years.

Even now people like Dhuriyothan or Rawan enjoy life more than people like Pandava or Raman.

VAS,

Mahabharata is the story of every family. A family has members who live with love, hate, conspiracies, resolutions, disagreements, fights to finish and what.  not. In fact we play all roles during the span of our life on the earth alternating between good and bad, love and hate, conflicts and resolutions. We start as a child, grow young with siblings and cousins, become a family man or woman, have children, become elder. During this journey we pass all the tests. sometimes we succeed, sometimes  we fail.    

During this journey we meet Duryodhans, Dushsashans, Ravans, Ramas, Krishnas depending upon our own perceptions and self interests. In the end we realize that it was futile to be judgemental.

Every body lives a life that suits him or her.

If you have not read these epics, I will suggest that you read them not as epics but as simple novels. Both have fantastic stories to tell.

burao
burao Oct 6
Regarding the statement the quote : -
"Krishna
It is difficult to live on Bhoolok and so whenever you will remember me I will come and that is my PUNISHMENT"

I think it should read:
It is difficult to live on Bhoolok and so whenever you will remember me I will come and that is my PRONOUNCEMENT"

This is based on many pronouncements Lord Krishna has Made in Bahgavad Gita.
muthurajan
muthurajan Oct 6
The poor guy. He has to live on bed of arrows to see the honor of women is respected.
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 7

Quote from burao Regarding the statement the quote : -
"Krishna
It is difficult to live on Bhoolok and so whenever you will remember me I will come and that is my PUNISHMENT"

I think it should read:
It is difficult to live on Bhoolok and so whenever you will remember me I will come and that is my PRONOUNCEMENT"

This is based on many pronouncements Lord Krishna has Made in Bahgavad Gita.
This is in context to the difficult life on earth as human. Krishna was accused of bias, cheating and cunning acts. He did have answer for each of them but nonetheless the accusations prevail. 
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 7

Quote from muthurajan The poor guy. He has to live on bed of arrows to see the honor of women is respected.

He could have possibly stopped it. In fact he could have stopped the dice game itself. He was more concerned of his vow. That is why he said that.
shobham
shobham Oct 10

He could have possibly stopped it. In fact he could have stopped the dice game itself. He was more concerned of his vow. That is why he said that. 

Actually it was Bhishma who was really directly responsible for Mahabharat. His arrogance and belief that only he was right. 

1. He got his old father married to a young girl . He considered his father's lust was more important than a young girl's happiness. 

2. Though he did nt  get married him self, he took active part in getting brides for his inept step brothers and even grand nephew Dhritrashtra . When it was not customary to abduct princesses for someone else. Begani shaadi me Abdulla Diwana. 

3. He had a very narrow view of his vows and stuck to them. His is the classic case of clash between Ethical and moral values. probably within all of us. 

Karma catches with all.  Sins of fathers are visited on children. Pandavas won. But was it a real victory? Losing three generations ? For what? 

The Forum post is edited by shobham Oct 10
muthurajan
muthurajan Oct 11
I am not sure but absolute power to individuals in 'Maharaja' system of politics this is bound to happen.  
hari1941
hari1941 Oct 12

Quote from shobham

Actually it was Bhishma who was really directly responsible for Mahabharat. His arrogance and belief that only he was right. 

1. He got his old father married to a young girl . He considered his father's lust was more important than a young girl's happiness. 

2. Though he did nt  get married him self, he took active part in getting brides for his inept step brothers and even grand nephew Dhritrashtra . When it was not customary to abduct princesses for someone else. Begani shaadi me Abdulla Diwana. 

3. He had a very narrow view of his vows and stuck to them. His is the classic case of clash between Ethical and moral values. probably within all of us. 

Karma catches with all.  Sins of fathers are visited on children. Pandavas won. But was it a real victory? Losing three generations ? For what?

I think it is quite complex. Bhism Pitamah's character is typical case of self imprisonment. His very birth is a sad story. Then he binds himself with a vow. His vow became his imprisonment. It was possibly like the carry over myth of Treta Yuga. Dashrath had to keep his promise and accept what Kaikai wished even at the cost of his life. 

hari1941
hari1941 Oct 12

Quote from muthurajan I am not sure but absolute power to individuals in 'Maharaja' system of politics this is bound to happen.  

True. Maharaja at the top is very lonely.
shobham
shobham Oct 12

I think it is quite complex. Bhism Pitamah's character is typical case of self imprisonment. His very birth is a sad story. Then he binds himself with a vow. His vow became his imprisonment. It was possibly like the carry over myth of Treta Yuga. Dashrath had to keep his promise and accept what Kaikai wished even at the cost of his life.  

Complex is  the right word. and confused too added to it. 

But Dashrath's vows to Kaikeyi were shams. He had vowed to her father that her son will be the king - that was the condition of wedding. She only wanted to right the wrong! and got abused roundly while trying to uphold the truth. 

hari1941
hari1941 Oct 13

Quote from shobham

But Dashrath's vows to Kaikeyi were shams. He had vowed to her father that her son will be the king - that was the condition of wedding. She only wanted to right the wrong! and got abused roundly while trying to uphold the truth. 

Somehow our epics have justification for every thing. He married Kaikai as his other two wives could not bear a child (as if he himself was not to be blamed). So for that reason all his four sons were the blessing of the Yagna or promise made to him by the Lord Himself in his past. He therefore thought it was right to name the eldest as the King.

Every action in Mahabharata has also been justified accordingly. We do not question any of them because the Lord can never be wrong. So is the in other religions.  

shobham
shobham Oct 13
Somehow our epics have justification for every thing. He married Kaikai as his other two wives could not bear a child (as if he himself was not to be blamed)

I have always found it curious. The kings then were not given the knowledge by Rishis about how to produce a child. So in the end they had to be called to do the needful as the blessing. 

hari1941
hari1941 Oct 14

Quote from shobham Somehow our epics have justification for every thing. He married Kaikai as his other two wives could not bear a child (as if he himself was not to be blamed)

I have always found it curious. The kings then were not given the knowledge by Rishis about how to produce a child. So in the end they had to be called to do the needful as the blessing. 

This was a Hindi movie starred by AB where the king is not capable of producing a heir and sends the queen to pilgrimage where she returns pregnant by her security guard i. e. AB. Possibly it has come from the past as a practice. 
muthurajan
muthurajan Oct 14
I only wish that these are all exceptional circumstances and only exceptional things are interesting to write and read for ages!